Innovative Solar ApplicationsWe believe solar is more than just panels on rooftops
Adaptable SolutionsSystems that can be applied to solve a variety of problems, like reducing food waste
Socially & Environmentally ConsciousOur focus is on helping those in need while protecting our future
Striving to improve the human condition through the creative application of sustainable technologies.
We believe the time has come for solar energy to deliver on its promise. Our focus isn’t like traditional solar companies, placing panels on roofs to sell power back to the grid. We look to apply solar to specific use cases and solve specific problems. By engineering our products to solar standards, we can deliver the most efficient solutions that provide social and economic value. We are talking about applied solar solutions designed to improve the quality of life for Earth’s citizens.
Reimagining the everyday
We aren’t trying to invent products to replace those that already exist. We believe that solar-based solutions can coexist with traditional products in the market. Our focus is on looking at present-day solutions to problems around the world and reengineering these solutions to take advantage of solar energy sources.
Solving tomorrow’s problems today. Solving the next generation’s problems now.
Healthy core culture
We believe a fun and dynamic work environment is critical to a company's success. Our focus is on building a culture that promotes innovation and creativity, leading to dynamic solutions that help solve the world's biggest challenges.
What we do.
We are an applied solar company looking to tackle some of the world’s most challenging problems such as preventing food loss, off-grid climate control, and reducing fossil fuel use. By leveraging sustainable technologies such as solar and applying it in unique ways to existing industrial solutions, we are able to produce a product that is instantly functional with all of the benefits of being powered by renewable energy.
The X in our name isn’t there just for show. It is representative of our core values as a company, that we can solve real societal problems leveraging the power of solar energy. In mathematical terms, the dependent variable Y (the outcome) represents the value of the function of X. By plugging our ideas into the variable X, we are left with an outcome (variable Y).
- The possibilities are infinite!
Harnessing the Power of the Sun to Deliver the Benefits of Cold
Food production is arguably the largest and most important commercial activity undertaken by mankind. However, it is coming under increasing pressure from population growth, climate change, and growing demands from consumers and regulators. By 2050, the global population is projected to reach 9.6 billion people. Humanity just can’t grow more food, as there is a finite amount of arable land on this planet. At SolarX Works, we feel that reducing food waste by applying creative, integrated solar solutions like our own will contribute to a sustainable answer for this global issue.
- 70% increase in food demand by 2050
- 1/3 of our planet’s food is wasted, enough to feed 2 billion people
- In developing countries, up to 50% of post-harvested foods are wasted due to poor storage, distribution, or processing
The Cost of Cold
The technology of refrigeration, specifically to keep our perishable goods from spoiling, is so prevalent in the developed world that we often take it for granted. From our homes, to restaurants, grocery stores, and large scale warehouses, refrigeration is a critical component of our food supply chain and impacts our lives on a daily basis.
It is also one of the larger costs for many businesses. For grocery stores, depending on the climate, refrigeration can equate to up to 79% of a grocer’s electricity use.
For large scale refrigerated warehouses, electricity for powering the refrigeration is the second largest overall cost behind labor!
Refrigeration impacts our environment as well. Whether it is a walk-in freezer consuming energy produced by a coal plant or a diesel generator powering the reefer unit attached to a semi, green-house gases are being released to keep our food fresh.
- Refrigeration in restaurants equates to up to 16% of energy consumption.
- Refrigeration can equate up to 79% of a grocery store’s electricity use!
- In large scale refrigerated warehousing, refrigeration costs can equal up to 20% of total operating costs!
- Freight transportation emissions equate to 6% of global greenhouse emissions and growing!
On average, refrigerated trucks burn 25% more fuel than the room-temperature equivalent.
- And produces 29X the polluting equivalent to the main truck engine!
Our Solution - The xCold System
There are many potential solutions out there but there is no one “silver bullet” idea. Opportunities for improvement present themselves in many ways – from the continuous dissemination of the supply chain and “cold chain” industry best practice ideas, to innovative contributions from the scientific, processing, engineering and investment communities. Our SolarX Works xCold system is but one necessary piece of a complex puzzle, which when applied to this complex equation, could help us solve these challenging problems.
xCold is all-encompassing refrigeration system that runs directly off the power of sunlight. By utilizing direct power from solar PV array, a patent-pending energy control scheme, and an energy-efficient refrigeration design, we have been able to maximize the power of the sun to produce a cold environment
Benefits of xCold
Direct DC to DC
Everything about the xCold system is designed to run on the same current that is produced by PV panels. This provides maximum efficiency of the system, with benefits including:
- Minimizing needed PV panels, reducing system costs
- No need for a DC to AC inverter, reducing system costs and increasing system efficiency
- More efficient motors, once again increasing efficiency
- Everything about the xCold system is designed to run on the same current that is produced by PV panels. This provides maximum efficiency of the system, with benefits including:
Minimal panels to maximize investment
- The goal of most solar panel installations is to install as many panels as possible to maximize energy output.
- With xCold, we will only install the necessary panels to run the system, which reduces the overall cost and needed space.
- We have an agreement with NASA to license their technology in our products
Power management system
- Fully off-grid or a grid connected hybrid system, our patent pending power management system smartly manages incoming power sources, with solar always being priority
- Our system allows you to be connected to multiple power sources and will draw power based on priority and system need.
Flexible and scalable
- We don’t care what box or space you want to cool, our system allows for multiple use cases. From shipping containers, to walk in freezers, to over the road truck trailers, our system can be used in multiple different ways.
- Most other “solar refrigeration” solutions are confined to a certain box or specific use. We designed our product to be more flexible with your needs.
- The beauty of our design is that it can be scaled up and down in size to fit your cooling needs!
- What makes our system even more unique is that it is capable and designed to run completely off grid when needed. This allows xCold to provide cooling to remote areas or places with unstable energy sources. It also allows xCold to run over the road as well!
The xCold system’s flexibility makes it capable for be used for multiple different purposes
Over the Road
The efficiency of xCold means that the required panels will fit on your trailer’s roof while stilling giving you equivalent cooling capabilities as a commonly used reefer unit
Enabling a Village
xCold’s 100% off-grid capability means that it can be placed in areas where the grid is unstable or doesn’t exist at all. Designed to be adaptable, xCold can produce a cold environment in just about any enclosed space
xCold’s ability to have backup power, such as being tied to the grid, means that it can be installed in your restaurant or grocery store with assurance that your good stay cold while reducing your electricity costs
The many benefits of xCold make the case that the system could be used for just about any remote purpose that requires some sort of cooling
Sustainable development is the masterful balance of meeting our own needs without jeopardizing future generations' ability to do the same— Light of Mine
For a solution to be truly sustainable and good it must have a positive return to the environment and society. At the heart of any design problem is a question: Are we trying to make something less bad or are we trying to make things better?... It's not just about solving for the negative; It's about creating a positive.— Eric Wicks, inspireUX
I can't imagine anything more important than air, water, soil, energy and biodiversity. These are the things that keep us alive.— David Suzuki
When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills— Chinese proverb
Behind the Works.
The people are what drive SolarX Works. Our experienced team comes from a variety of industries including the military, food logistics, and photovoltaic production. This combined knowledge base is what drives the creative solutions that make up SolarX Works.
Blake BarthelmessCEO - Solar X Works LLC
Tor HartmannCTO - Solar X Works LLC
Scott BrownCOO - Solar X Works LLC
Donald McGrawCIO/CMO - Solar X Works LLC
Join Our Cause.
Please leave your information below and we will get back to you.
SolarX | Works
601 S. Pioneer Way Suite F #205,
Moses Lake, WA 98837